Thursday, November 13, 2008

We're home! We got home last night around 11:30 or so. Originally yesterday I wanted to stay overnight so that the nurses could help with Oliver. I wasn't sure if I would know what to do for him if he got really upset. Throughout the afternoon he started eating from a syringe and acting more like himself so John and I started feeling more confident about taking care of Oliver at home. The doctors and nurses told us it would be fine, but we could stay if we wanted to. It was up to us. By about 7:00 in the evening, we realized that we weren't going to get any rest in the hospital. There was no rocking chair in the room. Oliver really liked being held, and there was only really one place for John and me to sleep: one chair that folded back into a bed. We figured we could spoon each other through the night, but it still wouldn't compare to sleeping in our own bed. We came home and got nearly six straight hours of sleep!! Amazing!

This morning Oliver woke up around six o'clock. He slept in his swing all night, which was great because he's supposed to stay elevated to keep swelling down. He has to wear arm restraints, "no no's", at all times to keep him from messing with his mouth. They just keep his arms from bending at the elbow, but he can move his arms at the shoulder. When he woke up, I found him with one no-no completely off and the other was around his wrist, but he could bend his arm easily. Whoops! He spent most of the day eating from a syringe with a little tube attatched at the end. He wasn't too happy about it, but he did fine. Both of us slept most of the day. I think yesterday wore us out! Then, incredibly, this evening he was able to nurse for the first time! I was nervous about it, afraid that it would hurt him, but he was so happy. His eyes were just happy. :) (Of course, as I was typing this, he barfed all over the place, but the important thing is that he can eat like he's used to now.)

Oliver has been just his normal self all day today. Extra cranky at meal times because of the syringe, but happy other than that. He's been smiling and showing off his dimple. He got so excited with Nana once that he nearly let out a laugh! All he's been taking for pain control all day is regular tylenol. I have tylenol with codeine, but I haven't used it since last night when we got home. The doctors said it would be pretty easy like this, but I'm still a little shocked that it's been this easy. Of course, Oliver is a great baby. He's usually happy, anyway, as long as he's being held.

Well, enough chatter. Here are some pics of our new man. Evie and Maggie weren't sure what to think at first this morning when they saw him for the first time. Maggie had a horrendous look on her face at first, but she got over it almost immediately. Evie still doesn't want to go too close to Oliver. She seemed kind of upset when she took her first look at him and kept covering her face. We tried to prepare them, especially Evie, about what to expect, but they had no way to really understand what was happening. I think Evie will be a lot better tomorrow. She's already seemed to do a little better this evening about looking at him. Anyway, here are the pics for real. :)

Not long after getting to his room. These no-nos are HUGE. Fortunately the ones we have now are a lot smaller.


Sleeping with his puppy.

Happy at home this evening. Just nursed and taking a break from the no-nos.

Smiling! He has Dermabond (basically super glue) on his top lip. Keeps it from stretching too much when he smiles.

Thanks again for all the prayers! God is faithful!!!

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh Tara...I am just praising God that your journey through surgery and so far through recovery has been smooth. Of course Oliver has ALWAYS been handsome, so that goes without saying...the repair looks beautiful and that last picture he looks like he might already be up to a little trouble!!! I KNOW this sounds strange, but he looks A LOT like our Samuel! Have you seen many pics of our baby boy?...these two favor each other...kinda crazy how genetics work, even that far down the line! It made me smile to hear the report of successful nursing! As a nursing mommy, I KNOW that feeling...so overwhelmed with joy that you baby is getting nutrition directly from the source. Your "definition" of his first post surgical nursing session gave me goose bumps! I am glad to have an update and I will continue to pray! You are SUCH a good momma and I hope to meet you someday! Danny is coming down for Uncle Wayne's funeral tomorrow, and we (Grace, Sam and I) will be there the week after for Thanksgiving.

Lezli said...

Aw, I'm getting all teary-eyed! We thank God that everything went so well, and that he is happy and alert today already! What a blessing. I'm pretty amazed. I'm glad his dimple is still there :) we'd love to see you guys before we leave for Thanksgiving... I'm guessing you aren't coming to Bible study next week?? Caleb is doing a lot better now, so we'd be glad to watch the girls if you need an extra nap or somethin' :)

The Vances said...

What a sweet, sweet smile. I am so glad that things went so smoothly for Oliver during surgery and after for you guys. God is so good! I will continue to pray for your little guy and for all of you as Oliver continues to heal.

What cute dimples! Now why do neither of my girls have 'em when my husband has such adorable ones? :) Where did Oliver's come from?

Roy and Debbie said...

Thanks for posting some pics, Tara. Glad to hear that all is ok. I sent a quick note to the Wojahn family about Oliver cuz I didn't know when you would be able to update your blog. I shoulda known that you'd update it the same day I send the email to the family. LOL. Send Debbie home whenever you get tired of having her around. hee hee.

Love yuns,

Dad

jen phifer said...

very glad to hear things are going well & we'll continue to pray for a speedy recovery.